Yesterday I decided I was going to try to implement the workbox system I have seen on many other homeschooling sites and blogs. I wasn’t able to find any wire shoe racks (which is what I originally was planning on using to make the workbox center with) so I found a bookshelf at Goodwill for $6.99. I also bought a few bins at the dollar tree (we already had 3 of the same bins). I also bought a bunch of goodies at the dollar tree. I bought some new workbooks, craft supplies, and post it notes.
At home I immediately got to work on my new workbox system. I put the bins on the shelves (so I have a total of 8 bins for the day). Right now she is 4 1/2 and will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. She has been begging to do school each day though so I though we could start the workbox system to practice before we officially start Kindergarten. I put different activities in each box.
In the first box I put a cookie sheet with magnetic numbers (both bought at the dollar tree), to be used to make up and solve math problems. I also put in a skip counting puzzle (a picture cut into strips with the numbers 10-100, skipped by 10s, on the bottom of each strip). She put the strips together in order to create a picture.
The 2nd box contained a telling time worksheet inside of a workbook with a page marked to do, the other page was to draw the hands on the clock for what time is printed below.
The third box (which is what she is working on as I am writing this) is a science activity. It is called “living or non-living things”. She is to cut out squares on the bottom and glue them into the appropriate box whether it is living or non-living. Then there is another worksheet where she just circles yes or no if the picture is living or non-living.
The 4th box contains an arts and craft activity. She cuts out many different hearts and glues them together to make a dog. She needs to work on her cutting skills so I will be adding plenty of cutting activities each day.
The 5th box has her phonics workbook with 1 page marked. The page has a word and a picture. The first letter of each word is missing and she has to figure out the letter and write it.
The 6th box contains just 2 worksheets for vowel recognition.
The 7th box contains a beading arts and crafts project.
The 8th box contains her copywork journal, where she copies scripture to practice her writing and penmanship.
This was just a trial run for today. I will be planning out this entire next week’s worth of work for her to do on Sunday. This will make it much easier to have things organized for the week. Plus when Olivia is begging to “do school” I can direct her towards her workboxes. It will also make it easier for my husband since I work 10 hours a day. I can have everything set up for him and all he needs to do is help her if she needs help with an assignment. This is just day 1 but I am hopefully that it will work well for us!